INVESTING IN OUR MOST PRECIOUS ASSET
Lakota Funds is dedicated to enriching the lives of Pine Ridge Reservation youth through programs that educate and encourage habits of asset building. That is why we launched a unique matched savings program for grade school children, the Child Development Account Program. The program is designed with age-appropriate lessons and also focuses on building the family core.
Once a child has enrolled in the program and opened their savings account, Lakota Funds seeds each Child Development Account with a $50 deposit and matches the participating families’ deposits by a 3:1 ratio. If the child deposits the maximum amount of $100 each year, Lakota Funds will contribute $300. The account has the potential to grow to $3,200 if the child participates the full length of the program.
In addition, participating children and families take part in training and education to provide a solid foundation that helps children understand the benefits of savings and how to be responsible for their account.
- Enrollment is open to children in Kindergarten and 1st Grade.
- To qualify for the Child Development Account Program, your gross household income must fit within the income guidelines below.
|Household Size||Maximum Gross Household Income|
- Participating children must take part in monthly financial literacy and child development activities.
- Parents of participating children must attend quarterly financial literacy trainings and family building activities.
- Deposit up to $100 each year into the Child Development Account. No minimum deposit requirement.
- Up to $200 per year can be withdrawn for approved qualified expenses, such as educational expenses or medical expenses.
Steps to Enroll Your Child
- Complete the program application and submit with the required documents.
- Complete the program orientation with a Lakota Funds staff member.
- Open your child's savings account at a participating bank with your initial deposit.
Increasing Banking Resources
Child Development Account Program participants are able to open their savings accounts at the Lakota Federal Credit Union, making it convenient for them to access banking services right here at home on the Reservation. Our partnership with the credit union is creating opportunities for our youth to get banking experience early on, creating a foundation for successful financial future.